USBG’s Legacy Cocktail Contest Program Requirements
Entry Instructions and Requirements
To enter the Contest, register at www.Legacy.Liquor.com/ and submit an original cocktail recipe that meets the requirements described below (your “Entry”). Entries must be received by 11:59 PM PT on October 15, 2016 (TBC). There is a limit of one (1) Entry per person.
- All cocktails should be inspired by BACARDÍ® Superior, BACARDÍ Gold, and BACARDI 8 rums.
- BACARDÍ® Superior, BACARDÍ Gold, or BACARDI 8 rums should be the dominant spirit ingredient and the recipe cannot contain more than six (6) ingredients (including dashes, drops, and anything that alters the flavor of the cocktail).
- The cocktail cannot contain more than three (3) alcohol-based beverage ingredients.
- The total alcohol content of the recipe must not exceed 1.5 oz.
- The cocktail must be no more than 11 oz. and no less than 3 oz.
- The ingredients must be expressed in fluid ounces (.5 oz., 1 oz., 2 oz., etc.), with dashes and drops being the smallest quantities.
- Preparation and mixing instructions must be included with your recipe.
- You should specify the glassware to be used for serving. For example, highball, old fashioned, Collins, martini cocktail glass, margarita, pilsner, punch cup, wine glass or champagne flute, etc.
- The method of preparation may not involve fire or flames.
- You must specify a name for your recipe. The name may not include any copyrighted or trademarked material or any retailer’s name, except that you may use the BACARDI® brand in the name.
- Cocktails should not contain another competitor rum brand
- Cocktails with house speciﬁc ingredients will not be eligible unless these are easily made and a full recipe is included. For example: Cardamom syrup or simple infusions and no more than 2 flavors per syrup or infusion. No home-made bitters, shrubs, blends or rum infusions will be allowed.
By entering, you agree to the attached Terms and Conditions of Entry.
First Round: Preliminary Selection
USBG will evaluate all Entries and select the one hundred and twenty (120) entrants it deems submitted the most promising recipes for a legacy cocktail (the “Preliminary Finalists”) based on the following judging criteria: (a) the concept of each recipe; (b) how easy each recipe is to replicate; and (c) the inspirational story behind each recipe.
The Preliminary Finalists will be invited to participate in Semi Final Events taking place in Boston, New York, DC, Miami, New Orleans, Dallas, Kansas City, Chicago, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle/Portland. Ten (10) Preliminary Finalists will compete in each city, and USBG shall determine, in its sole discretion, the city in which each Preliminary Finalist will compete. The Semi-Final Events will take place between November and December, 2016, but USBG will give the Preliminary Finalists a precise date, time, location, and instructions during the communication.
If a Preliminary Finalist lives between 1 and 400 miles from the event location, USBG shall provide him/her with gas stipend. If a Preliminary Finalist lives further than 400 miles from the event location, USBG shall provide (a) round-trip coach class airfare for one (1) person from an airport close to the Preliminary Finalist’s home to the destination city; and (b) hotel accommodations for two (2) nights. Please see the Prize Details Section below for additional details. The approximate retail value of the trip is $1,000. The actual value of the trip will vary depending on various factors, including the date of booking, the point of departure, and the dates of travel.
Except where prohibited, each Preliminary Finalist will be required to complete and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release within seven (7) days of notification. If a Preliminary Finalist fails to return these documents on time, he/she will not be able to compete in the Second Round.
Second Round: Twelve (12) Semi Final Events
During the Semi Final Events, each Preliminary Finalist will be asked to create the drink in his/her Entry twice: one time to be photographed; and one time to be presented directly to the judges. Preliminary Finalists can use their own equipment or use the equipment provided by USBG. Preliminary Finalists will also be asked to discuss the inspiration behind their creation, why they believe it works well with BACARDÍ, and why they believe their cocktail has the potential to become the next BACARDÍ Legacy cocktail. A panel of judges will select one (1) Semi Finalists per event for a total of twelve (12) Semi Finalists based on the following judging criteria:
Name: 10 points
Technical skills and presentation flair: 10 points
Appearance: 20 points
Aroma, balance of flavors and character appeal: 30 points
Ingenuity & Innovation: 10 points
Inspiration & story behind the recipe: 10 points
Would you enjoy more than one? 20 points
Product Knowledge: 10 points
Total of 120 Points
Between the date of selection and the start of the National Finals, each Semi Finalist will be required implement a marketing plan for their drink Additional details will be provided by USBG at the time of selection.
Each Semi Finalist will receive either a trip to Miami, FL or Los Angeles, CA, to compete in the National Finals between February 1, 2017 and February 28, 2017. USBG will give the Semi Finalists a precise date, time, location, and instructions during the communication. The trip includes: (a) round-trip coach class airfare for one (1) person from an airport close to the Semi Finalist’s home to the destination city; and (b) hotel accommodations for three (3) nights as determined by USBG. Please see the Prize Details Section below for additional details. The approximate retail value of the trip is $2,000. The actual value of the trip will vary depending on various factors, including the date of booking, the point of departure, and the dates of travel.
Educational Trip to Puerto Rico
Each US Finalist will receive an Educational trip to the Bacardi Distillery in Puerto in December 2016. USBG will give the Semi Finalists a precise date, time, location, and instructions during the communication. The trip includes: (a) round-trip coach class airfare for one (1) person from an airport close to the Semi Finalist’s home to Puerto Rico; and (b) hotel accommodations for three (3) nights as determined by USBG. Please see the Prize Details Section below for additional details. The approximate retail value of the trip is $2,000. The actual value of the trip will vary depending on various factors, including the date of booking, the point of departure, and the dates of travel. You do not need a Passport for the Semi Finals. However, you will need one if you advance to the Global Finals scheduled for Berlin, Germany in May 2017.
Third Round: (2) US National Finals
The National Finals will take place between February 1, 2017 and February 28, 2017. During the National Finals, each Semi Finalist will be asked to create the drink in his/her Entry. Semi Finalists can use their own equipment or use the equipment provided by USBG. In addition, each emi Finalist will be evaluated on his/her marketing plan. A panel of judges will pick one (1) winner based on the following judging criteria:
Name: 10 points
Technical skills and presentation flair: 15 points
Appearance: 10 points
Aroma, balance of flavors and character appeal: 40 points
Ingenuity & Innovation: 20 points
Inspiration & story behind the recipe: 10 points
Refreshment: 5 points
Product Knowledge: 10 points
Total of 120 points
Regional Finalists can receive up to 30 points on their marketing plan based on the following criteria: (a) volume (# of Marketing Initiatives to support the plan to include, but not limited to: emails, postcards, coasters, guest shifts, websites, social posts) (b) reach (overall impressions of the marketing initiatives to include, but not limited to,# of emails sent, # of postcards distributed, # of website views, # of social posts likes, shares, comments, etc); and (c) profile (Ranking of the effectiveness of the results, i.e. Press results/hits, notable commentary on social posts, features in magazines, etc.).
Feedback of the National Finals performance will be shared with the National Finalists at the conclusion of the last event.
The Grand Prize Winner will receive a trophy and a trip to participate in Global Legacy Cocktail Competition in Berlin, Germany. The Competition is expected to take place in May 2017. The trip includes: (a) round-trip coach class airfare for one (1) person from an airport close to the winner's home to the destination city; and (b) hotel accommodations for at least two (2) nights. Please see the Trip Details Section below for additional details. The approximate retail value of the trip is $15,000. The actual value of the trip will vary depending on various factors, including the date of booking, the point of departure, the destination city, and the dates of travel.
Trip Details (for all Trips)
Each winner is responsible for paying any income taxes and any and all other costs and expenses not listed above. He/she will be required to provide a Social Security Number for tax reporting purposes. Any details that are not specified above will be determined by USBG, in its sole discretion. A prize may not be transferred and must be accepted as awarded. A winner may not request cash or a substitute prize; however, USBG reserves the right to substitute a prize (or component thereof) with another prize (or component thereof) of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason, as determined by USBG, in its sole discretion. Winners must travel on the dates specified by USBG. Once travel documents are issued, travel arrangements cannot be changed.
USBG’s Legacy Cocktail Contest Terms and Conditions of Entry
No purchase is necessary to participate in the Contest.
- Sponsor: The Contest is offered by United States Bartenders' Guild, 2654 West Horizon Ridge Parkway, Suite B5 PMB 252 Henderson, NV 89052 (“Sponsor”).
- Eligibility: The Contest is open only to individuals who (a) are legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (except residents of Utah), (b) are at least twenty-five (25) years old, and have a US passport valid through November 2017 Employees of Sponsor, Bacardi S.A., Inc. (“BUSA”) or any of other alcohol beverage company, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of those employees, are not eligible to enter.
- Agreement to Terms and Conditions: By participating in this Contest, you indicate your unconditional agreement to these Terms and Conditions, the Program Requirement s, and Sponsor's decisions, which are final and binding. You cannot win a prize unless you comply with all requirements set forth herein. Sponsor reserves the right to change these Terms and Conditions or the Program Requirements at any time, without prior notice. Any changes will be posted on usbg.org. Moreover, by participating, you represent that you are complying with any policies your employer may have regarding participation in contests of this nature.
- Rights to Entries: By entering, you: (a) irrevocably grant Sponsor, BUSA, and each of their agents, licensees, and assigns (collectively, the “Rights Holders”) the unconditional and perpetual (non-exclusive) right and permission to copyright, reproduce, encode, store, copy, transmit, publish, post, broadcast, display, publicly perform, adapt, modify, create derivative works of, exhibit, and otherwise use your Entry as-is or as-edited (with or without using your name) in any media throughout the world for any purpose, without limitation, and without additional review, compensation, or approval from you or any other party; (b) forever waive any rights of copyrights, trademark rights, privacy rights, and any other legal or moral rights that may preclude the Rights Holders' use of your Entry, or require any further permission for the Rights Holders to use the Entry; and (c) agree not to instigate, support, maintain, or authorize any action, claim, or lawsuit against the Rights Holders on the grounds that any use of the Entry, or any derivative works, infringes any of your rights as creator of the Entry, including, without limitation, copyrights, trademark rights, and moral rights.
- Publicity: Except where prohibited, by participating in the Contest, you agree that the Rights Holders and any media attending events related to the Contest may use your name, likeness, voice, opinions, photographs, audio-visual footage, recipe, biographical information, state of residence, and/or any other record of your participation in the Contest for promotional purposes in any press releases, advertisements, television, radio, film, documentary, internet, or in any other publication or media without further payment or consideration.
- General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way, Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest; or (b) award the prizes according to the criteria set forth above from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and seek damages from any individual who tampers with the operation of the Contest, violates these Terms and Conditions, or acts in a disruptive or unsportsmanlike manner. Sponsor's failure to enforce any term of these Terms and Conditions shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Proof of sending any communication to Sponsor by mail shall not be deemed proof of receipt of that communication by Sponsor. The Contest is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void in Utah and where prohibited.
- Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in the Contest, you agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, BUSA, and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, and agents (the “Released Parties”) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a)unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (b) technical errors; (c) printing errors; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of Entries; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property. You further agree to indemnify, release, and hold the Released Parties harmless from any claims that their use of your Entry (as contemplated in these Rules) violates or infringes upon the rights of any third party. You waive the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
- Disputes: Except where prohibited, you agree that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in Nevada. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Terms and Conditions, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Nevada, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of Nevada or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Nevada.